Any new private company which cannot take funds from private markets depends on Venture Capital for their growth, expansion, and scaling. The same is provided to any business or startup by those willing to put their money in the projects that are risky but have the capability to give extraordinary returns.
Venture Capital has now gained a whole new level of densification, maturity, and edification in India. However, the phenomenon of venture investments is yet a new concept in India. It is one of the most flexible forms of financing technology-based or disruption savvy business ventures.
We are providing you with a list of Venture Capital firms in India that sought to be the best and most active since the inception of the startup ecosystem in India. These contain all the list of venture capital firms in Bangalore and venture capitalists in Mumbai included.
List of VC Firms in India
1. Zodius Capital
Zodius builds exceptional market defining businesses in new and high growth areas where an exciting new market is emerging and there is no leader in place to drive the market. Operational since 2011, Zodius typically develops one company every six months and works intensively with its portfolio company teams to “speed up” and “shape up” for exceptional growth and profitability.
- Key Contact – Neeraj Bhargava
- Markets – Enterprise software & services, Data & analytics, Consumer mobile/internet markets
- Investments – Bigbasket
2. Warburg Pincus
Warburg Pincus LLC is a leading global private equity firm focused on growth investing. The firm has more than $37 billion in assets under management. The firm’s active portfolio of more than 120 companies is highly diversified by stage, sector, and geography.
- Key Contact – Niten Malhan
- Markets – Energy, Financial Services, Healthcare, Consumer, Technology, Media, Telecommunications, Industrial & Business Services
- Investments – CarTrade, BIBA, Quikr, Lemon Tree Hotels
3. Vertex Ventures
Vertex builds companies and invests in people creating the engine room for next-generation Internet services and businesses. People who identify with a problem that can never truly be solved and want to grow a multi-billion dollar business in its pursuit.
- Key Contact – Ben Mathias
- Markets – Mobile, Internet, Services, Tech-enabler
- Investments – FirstCry, Yatra
They like to partner the entrepreneur that is trying to avoid doing the commonplace; one that is growing with the current trend but is preparing to lead the next trend. You are a mature India based businessman; you are a tech-savvy entrepreneur returning from overseas, or you are a corporate/scientific establishment employee all are appealing to them, your drive to make a difference is what they are looking for.
- Key Contact – Sarath Naru
- Markets – Technology and Technology-enabled, Life science and clean environment, Seed and incubation stage businesses
- Investments – Portea
5. 500 Startups
500 Startups is a global venture capital seed fund and startup accelerator based in Silicon Valley with ~$200M in assets under management. Their investment team and mentor network has operational experience at companies such as PayPal, Google, Facebook, YouTube, Yahoo, LinkedIn, Twitter and Apple.
- Key Contact – Pankaj Jain
- Markets – Consumer commerce, Design, Food tech, Cloud services, Family tech and education, Payments and Financial services
- Investments – EduKart, Urjakart
6. Unitus Seed Fund
Unitus Seed Fund, LP is an impact seed equity fund that applies the best practices of for-profit and impact investing in India. Based in Bangalore and Seattle, Unitus Seed Fund is an affiliate of the Unitus Group, which has a track record of excellent financial returns from market-driven solutions that provide scaled social impact in the developing world.
- Key Contact – Dave Richards
- Markets – Education, Financial Technology, Mobile & Consumer, Retail & Ecommerce, Healthcare, Agriculture
- Investments – mGaadi, Milaap, Hippocampus
Unilazer Ventures is a uniquely positioned Investor with deep experience in the fast growing Indian Consumer, Services and High Impact Sectors. Unilazer also supports The SWADES Foundation focused on empowering Rural India through Health & Nutrition, Water & Sanitation, Education, Agriculture & Livelihood and Community Mobilization and has identified One Million people in Rural Maharashtra in its first phase.
- Key Contact – Ronnie Screwvala
- Markets – Agriculture, Health Care, Micro Finance and Education
- Investments – Maroosh, Zivame, Lenskart
8. Tuscan Ventures
Tuscan has been actively investing in logistics and distribution domains and has also taken into supply chain, food and agriculture industries in India
- Key Contact – Shagun Kapur Gogia
- Markets – Logistics & distribution
- Investments – Coldstar
9. Trifecta Capital Partners
Trifecta Capital is a San Francisco/Menlo Park-based venture capital firm focused on early-stage technology companies. Trifecta invests in the very best technology companies, and in doing so empowers the next great founders in making the world a better place.
- Key Contact – Rahul Khanna
- Markets – Technology, Consumer, Healthcare
- Investments – Helpchat (Tapzo), Knowlarity
10. Steadview Capital
Steadview Capital is an alternative asset management firm that makes concentrated, long-term investments across multiple industries. The firm has a group of institutional investors, including leading family offices, endowments, foundations, and pension funds which seek to capture long-term returns over managing short-term volatility.
- Key Contact – Ravi Mehta
- Markets – Consumer, Internet
- Investments – Flipkart, Ola, Urban Ladder
11. SIDBI Venture Capital Limited
SIDBI Venture Capital is a venture capital arm of Small Industries Development Bank of India specializing direct and fund of funds.
- Key Contact – Ananta Padmanabhan Sarma
- Markets – Software, Technology, Light engineering, Clean-tech, Agro-based industries, Logistics, Infrastructure, Education services
- Investments – mycity4kids, Printland
12. Sequoia Capital
Sequoia is a venture capital focused on energy, financial, enterprise, healthcare, internet, and mobile startups. The company was founded by Don Valentine in November 1972 and is based in Menlo Park, California.
- Key Contact – Vt Bharadwaj
- Markets – Consumer, Healthcare, Technology
- Investments – BankBazaar, Cardekho, Craftsvilla, Oyo
Seedfund is a Vietnam-based investment advisory and consulting firm focused on startups and early-stage companies.
- Key Contact – Mahesh Murthy
- Markets – Healthcare, Education, Rural marketing, E-commerce, Technology
- Investments – Redbus, CarWale
14. SAIF Partners
SAIF Partners is a leading private equity firm that provides growth capital to companies in Asia. SAIF Partners was founded in 2001 and currently manages over $4 billion in capital. With over 100 investments since its inception, SAIF has become one of the largest and most active funds in the region. SAIF is a long-term investor with local teams in Hong Kong, China, and India.
- Key Contact – Alok Goel
- Markets – Consumer, ITES, Education, Internet, Healthcare
- Investments – BookMyShow, FirstCry, ixigo, Paytm, Swiggy
15. Saama Capital
Saama Capital II, is an India-focused venture capital fund and is the independent successor fund to SVB India Capital Partners, I (“SICP”). SICP has been successfully investing in Indian companies since 2006 following a collaborative partner driven approach with diversification across stage and sector. Saama Capital is the same team, with the same strategy as SICP, but under a new identity.
- Key Contact – Ash Lilani
- Markets – Ecommerce, Tech field support, hardware and software
- Investments – Chai Point, BlueStone, iYogi, Snapdeal
16. Reliance Venture
Reliance Venture Asset Management is India’s leading corporate venture capital firm pioneering the new wave of strategic investment and creating a winning ecosystem. The firm was launched in 2006 with an investment mandate to invest in and incubate new business ideas in emerging and high-growth sectors across the globe.
- Key Contact – Kshitij Gupta
- Markets – Technology, Media & entertainment, Telecom, Infrastructure
- Investments – Yatra, ZoomCar
17. Qualcomm Ventures
Qualcomm Ventures (QCV) was formed in 2000 to make investments in startups that are operating in categories which are future growth vectors for Qualcomm. QCV today has over 160 active companies in its portfolio and has generated significant financial returns in last 16 years including five billion dollar+ exits (Invensense, NQ Mobile, Waze, Fitbit, Cruise Automation) in last five years alone.
- Key Contact – Karthee Madasamy
- Markets – Healthcare, Consumer, Hardware, Systems/components, Enterprise
- Investments – Portea, YourStory, MapmyIndia, Fab Hotels
18. Orios Venture Partners
Orios Venture Partners is an early-stage venture fund which primarily invests in software and technology-enabled startups.
- Key Contact – Rehan Yar Khan
- Markets – Online consumer tech and SaaS
- Investments – Zo Rooms, Ola, Unbxd
19. Blume Ventures
Blume Ventures provides seed funding in the range of $50K – $250K to early-stage tech-focused/tech-enabled ventures. They are proponents of a collaborative approach and like to co-invest with like-minded angels and seed funds. They then provide follow-on investments to their stellar portfolio companies, ranging between $500K and $1.5mill.
- Key Contact – Karthik Reddy
- Markets – Analytics, Business Services, Clean Tech & Energy, Consumer Services, Edtech, E-Commerce
- Investments – Grey Orange, TaxiForSure
20. Norwest Venture Partners
Norwest Venture Partners is a global venture capital and growth equity investment firm that manages more than $6 billion in capital. Headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif., Norwest has offices in San Francisco and New York, and subsidiaries in Mumbai and Bengaluru, India and Herzelia, Israel. The firm has funded more than 575 companies since inception.
- Key Contact – Niren Shah
- Markets – Enterprise & SaaS, Cloud & IT, Internet & consumer, Services, Healthcare
- Investments – IndusInd Bank, ING Vysya Bank, Pepperfry
21. Nirvana Venture Advisors
Nirvana Venture Advisors invests in early-stage and market leading companies in the fast-growing Indian internet and mobile segments. They help companies growth and flourish.
- Key Contact – Amit Patni
- Markets – Mobile, Internet, E-commerce, Online travel, Online advertising and marketing
- Investments – Zopper, Housing, Games2win
22. Nexus Venture Partners
Nexus Venture Partners partner with exceptional entrepreneurs in the US and India. Our team comprises ex-entrepreneurs who are strong “bottom-up” thinkers and “sleeves rolled up” operators. With decades of experience in building and funding globally leading companies, they manage more than USD 1 billion across funds.
- Key Contact – Sandeep Singhal
- Markets – Consumer, Enterprise, Business services
- Investments – Craftsvilla, Delhivery, OLX, Stayzilla
23. New Enterprise Associates
New Enterprise Associates is a venture capital firm specializing in investments in venture growth equity at all stages with a focus on seed, start-up, early stage, later stage, growth capital, and public. The firm opportunistically invests in PIPEs, expansion, and mezzanine financing.
- Key Contact – Bala Deshpande
- Markets – Consumer services, Infrastructure services, Alternative energy, Agriculture, and Healthcare
- Investments – Naaptol
Founded in 1915, Naspers is a $65bn global media and Internet group with investments and operations in more than 130 markets with long-term growth potential. Today, Naspers companies hold leading positions in traditional media, video entertainment, and the Internet, specializing in e-commerce (classifieds, marketplaces, e-retail, travel, payments and online services).
- Key Contact – Bob van Dijk, Basil (Vasili) Sgourdos, Mark Sorour
- Markets – B2C, Media
- Investments – OLX, redBus, Flipkart, Myntra, Goibibo
25. Mayfield Fund
Silicon Valley-based early-stage venture capital firm with a 45-year successful track record and an investment focus on global IT companies providing solutions to businesses and consumers.
- Key Contact – Navin Chaddha
- Markets – Consumer, Education, Media, Technology
- Investments – Knowlarity, TripHobo
26. Matrix Partners India
Matrix Partners is committed to building long-term relationships with outstanding entrepreneurs and helping them build significant industry-leading companies. Since its inception in 1977, Matrix Partners has had the privilege to partner with hundreds of innovators.
- Key Contact – Avnish Bajaj
- Markets – Consumer, Internet, Travel, E-commerce & marketplaces
- Investments – Limeroad, Ola, Practo
27. Lok Capital Group
Gurgaon-based Lok Capital initiative launched at the end of 2000 with the support of a grant from the Rockefeller Foundation specializes in bottom-of-pyramid customer segment investments.
- Key Contact – Vishal Mehta
- Markets – Financial services, Agriculture/livelihood, and Healthcare
- Investments – Veritas Finance, Drishti, RuralShores
28. Lightspeed Venture Partners
Lightspeed Venture Partners is a venture capital firm that is engaged in the consumer, enterprise, technology, and cleantech markets. Lightspeed Venture Partners was founded in 2000 and is based in Menlo Park, California with additional offices in Beijing, China; Shanghai, China; New Delhi, India; and Herzelia Pituach, Israel.
- Key Contact – Bejul Somaia
- Markets – Advertising and media, Business services, Financial services, Healthcare, Education and Retail
- Investments – Limeroad, Freshmenu, Oyo, LocalOye
29. Lightbox Management Ltd
Lightbox is an eclectic mix of people who came together to start the fund. With the team having had worked in consumer technology space, this became their sector of choice at Lightbox.
- Key Contact – Sandeep Murthy
- Markets – Consumer technology
- Investments – Faasos, Cleartrip, Info Edge
30. Kalaari Capital
Kalaari Capital is a $160 million venture capital fund with a strong advisory team in Bangalore investing in early-stage, technology-oriented companies in India. Kalaari Capital invests in the unknown Indian entrepreneur who is poised to become tomorrow’s global leader.
- Key Contact – Vani Kola
- Markets – E-commerce, Education, Healthcare
- Investments – Snapdeal, Myntra, Instamojo, Urban Ladder
31. Kae Capital
A destination for early stage companies to acquire capital for growth. Kae Capital is a sector agnostic fund and invests in companies which bring about innovative solutions for the existing gaps in the markets, backed by a great team. their focus – investing in Innovation, Leadership, and Growth.
- Key Contact – Sasha Mirchandani
- Markets – Mobile, E-commerce, Education, Healthcare, Consumer internet
- Investments – Healthkart, Truly Madly, Truebil, Frsh
32. Jungle Ventures
Jungle Ventures is a Singapore native venture capital firm that provides early stage investments and business building infrastructure to startups across Asia Pacific.
- Key Contact – Anurag Srivastava
- Markets – Consumer internet, enterprise tech
- Investments – Milaap, Tookitaki
33. IvyCap Ventures
IvyCap Ventures has launched a venture capital fund guided by an entrepreneur-centric investment approach. We celebrate excellence, innovation, fresh ideas in sunrise industries and, most importantly, the entrepreneurial zeal that is at the core of a business venture.
- Key Contact – Vikram Gupta
- Markets – Healthcare & life sciences, Education, Infrastructure, Technology, Agri & food processing
- Investments – Purplle, Clovia, BlueStone
34. Inventus Capital Partners
Inventus Capital Partners is a US-India venture firm managed by successful entrepreneurs and industry operating veterans who have guided and financed nearly 100 entrepreneurs with operations in India and/or Silicon Valley.
- Key Contact – Kanwal Rekhi
- Markets – Mobile, E-commerce, Services, Internet, Finance, Communications, Healthcare, Education
- Investments – redBus, Policy Bazaar, Savaari
35. Intel Capital
Intel Capital is an investment firm that is focused on mergers, acquisitions, and equity investments related to tech startups. The company invests in a broad range of companies that offers hardware, software, and services targeting the enterprise, mobility, consumer internet, digital media, and semiconductor manufacturing sectors.
- Key Contact – Pradeep Tagare
- Markets – Client & perpetual computing, Datacentre-cloud, Digital media, Internet, Manufacturing, Security, Smart devices, Software & Services
- Investments – Healthkart, Hungama, IndiaMart, Snapdeal, Savaari, Yatra
36. IDG Ventures India
IDG Ventures India is a leading technology venture capital fund in India. The fund is part of IDG Ventures, a global network of technology venture funds with over $6 billion under management with over 220 investee companies and 10 offices across Asia and North America.
- Key Contact – Sudhir Sethi
- Markets – Consumer media & tech, Software, Health tech, Fintech
- Investments – FirstCry, Myntra, Tripoto, Yatra, Zivame
37. Idein Ventures
Idein Ventures is an early-stage venture capital firm focused on the growth of startup companies. It invests with the objective of crazy growth, fuelled ambition and disruptive creation. Typically investing in early stages, it assists the startups beyond just providing money.
- Key Contact – Ashwin Srivastava
- Markets – Technology, Consumer
- Investments – Infurnia Furnishings, Qriyo Infolabs
38. Helion Venture Partners
Helion Venture Partners is a stage-independent, India-focused venture fund, investing in high growth technology powered businesses and consumer services. The Economic Times announced Helion as India’s “largest domestic venture capital firm” for the year 2012.
- Key Contact – Sanjeev Aggarwal
- Markets – Technology, Education, Financial Services, Healthcare
- Investments – Bigbasket, MakeMyTrip, BabyOye, ShopClues
39. Google Capital
Google Capital is the late-stage growth capital fund financed by Google and based in Mountain View, CA. In addition to capital investment, Google Capital’s approach includes giving portfolio companies access to Google’s people, knowledge, and culture to support the companies’ growth and offer them guidance.
- Key Contact – Kaushik Anand
- Markets – Big Data, Fintech, Security, Vertical Market Software
- Investments – CarDekho, Practo, CommonFloor
40. General Atlantic LLC
General Atlantic is a leading global growth equity firm providing capital and strategic support for growth companies. Established in 1980, General Atlantic combines a collaborative global approach, sector specific expertise, a long-term investment horizon and a deep understanding of growth drivers to partner with great entrepreneurs and management teams to build exceptional businesses worldwide.
- Key Contact – Sandeep Naik
- Markets – Internet & Technology, Retail & Consumer, Financial Services
- Investments – Mu Sigma, BillDesk, House of Anita Dongre
41. Fulcrum Venture India
Fulcrum is a private equity investor founded in 2000 with a focused on the SME business opportunities. Trust is our biggest investment in a business. We recognize that management is the captain of the ship, encourage maximum freedom and anchor our fortunes to business results that are win-win.
- Key Contact – Krishna Ramanathan
- Markets – Education, Financial Services, FMCG, Healthcare, niche Retail
- Investments – Richfeel Health and Beauty Pvt Ltd, SwaaS Systems
42. Forum Synergies
Forum Synergies assists the investee companies with business leadership and operating expertise. It also lays emphasis on industry participation to help new companies.
- Key Contact – Samir Inamdar
- Markets – Engineering, Healthcare, Clean Technology, Information & Communication Technology
- Investments – Drishti, Cbazaar
43. Eight Roads Ventures
Eight Roads Ventures is a venture capital fund, with offices in China, India, Japan and the UK. Eight Roads is the proprietary investment arm of Fidelity International Limited (FIL). The Ventures arm of FIL was formerly known as Fidelity Growth Partners
- Key Contact – Kabir Narang
- Markets – Healthcare, Technology, Consumer
- Investments – BankBazaar, Chai Point
44. Clearstone Venture Partners
Founded by Bill Elkus in 1998, Clearstone Venture Partners is a venture capital firm with offices in Santa Monica and Menlo Park, California. The firm manages over $650 million of committed capital. Clearstone’s limited partners include the investment affiliates of The State of California, JP Morgan, The University of California, The State of Michigan, The State of Pennsylvania, The University of Pittsburgh, Moore Capital and others.
- Key Contact – Vish Mishra
- Markets – Infrastructure, E-commerce, Social, Mobile
- Investments – Games2win, Billdesk
46. Bessemer Venture Partners
Bessemer Venture Partners (BVP) is a $4B venture capital firm that funds consumer, enterprise and healthcare startups around the world, from seed stage to growth. BVP-funded the early stages of Pinterest, Blue Apron, Skype, Skybox Imaging, Twitch, and Periscope and helped build 117 IPOs including Twilio, Yelp, LinkedIn, Shopify and Wix.
- Key Contact – Vishal Gupta
- Markets – Internet and mobile, Software products, Financial services, Healthcare, Power and infrastructure
- Investments – Snapdeal
47. Basil Partners
Basil Partners is a venture capital fund focused on investing in either Indian / Asian companies which seek to expand into Global markets or US / European companies which have an India / Asia-centric offshore based model. Basil’s investment philosophy is to Partner with the Portfolio company and “Actively Build” world class companies. Their capital comes from “Basil Growth Corporation”, a closed-end Venture Capital Fund incorporated in Mauritius.
- Key Contact – Rajeev Srivastava
- Markets – IT services
- Investments – Karmic Lifesciences
48. Bain Capital Private Equity
Started in 1984 by the partners from the consulting arm, Bain & Company, Bain Capital Private Equity has made over 270 high-return yielding investments, operating from eight offices on three continents.
- Key Contact – Ajay Kumar
- Markets – Consumer, Retail & Dining, Financial & Business Services, Healthcare, Industrial & Energy, Technology, Media & Telecom
- Investments – Himadri
49. Ascent Capital
Ascent Capital is a leading India-focused independent private equity firm. They are one of the most experienced teams on the ground with over 150+ years of collective experience in Indian capital markets. Over the past 15 years, they have helped over 55 entrepreneurial teams build leading businesses.
- Key Contact – Raja Kumar
- Markets – Technology, E-commerce, Healthcare, Financial Services, Consumer Brands, Infrastructure
- Investments – Bigbasket
Accel comes with over three decades of experience of supporting dreams of many entrepreneurs in domains spanning technology to media.
- Key Contact – Mahendran Balachandran
- Markets – Consumer, Internet, Mobile, Healthcare, Enterprise Software & Services
- Investments – Flipkart, BabyOye, Myntra, BookMyShow, HolidayIQ