Facebook’s founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg appeared in a joint Senate hearing today ducking several questions while maintaining a satisfactory calm vibe through five hours of tough and tame questioning.
The 33 year old billionaire avoided accepting that Facebook is a monopoly, denied to commit to any meaningful legislation and addressed lawmakers over five hour testimony respectfully.
Still, he did make one silly mistake.
Mark Zuckerberg left his hearing notes open in front of his seat for long enough for AP Photographer Andrew Harnik to snap a high resolution shot with talking points in plain view.
The notes covered points that we head Mark repeat during the course of the hearing marathon. However, there are few candid statements that didn’t come up. The notes also explores a glimpse into what sort of questioning the social network expected.
For your knowledge, Mark expected Congress might demand his resignation. Below we have listed the complete note in text. You can go through it.
- Breach of trust; sorry we let it happen; took steps in 2014 to stop it happening again.
- Quiz app designed by Cambridge University researcher named Aleksandr Kogan.
- People who used app gave Kogan FB Information like public profile, page likes, friend list + birthday; same for friends’ whose setting allowed sharing; NO credit card/SSN info.
- Kogan sold to CA in violation to our terms; when we found out, told them to delete data.
- Confirmed they had – now seems untrue. Should have done more to audit + tell people.
- Didn’t think enough about abuse; rethinking every part of our relationship with people.
- Important issue, but no credit card information or SSN shared.
- People gave Kogan access to Facebook information like their public profile, page likes, friend list + birthday, same for friends’ whose settings allowed sharing.
- 2014 changes mean it could happen now, restricted apps’ access to data even further.
Reverse Lookup (scraping)
- Found out about abuse two weeks ago, shut it down.
- Useful to find someone by phone number/email, if people have the same name.
- Malicious actors linked public infor (name, profile photo, gender, user ID) to phone numbers they already had; shut it down. Need to do more to prevent abuse.
- Find people for CA?: its about how we designed tha platform. That was my responsibility. Not going to throw people under the bus.
- Do you ever fire anyone?: Yes; hold people are accountable all the time; not going to go into specifics.
- Resign?: Founded Facebook. My decisions. I made mistakes. Big challenge but we’ve solved problems before, going to solve this one. Already taking action.
- No accountability for MZ?: Accountable to you, to employees, to people who use FB.
- I use FB every day, so does my family, invest a lot in security.
- Made mistakes, working hard to fix them.
- Giving people more controls; just yesterday stated showing poeple their app controls.
Business Model (ads)
- Want FB to be a service everyone can use, has to be free, can only do that with ads.
- Key for me is mission – helping people connect. Business model supports that mission.
- Let’s be clear. Facebook doesn’t sell data. You own your information. We give you controls.
- People know if the need ads; tell us if they have to see ads; want them to be relevant.
……..Some Points are not Readable in the Photo. So we Ignored them…….
- [If attacked: Respectfully, I reject that. Not who we are.]
- Billions people use FB every day to connect to the people that matter.
- Families reconnected, people met and gotten married, movements organized, tens of millions of SMBs now have better tools to grow and create jobs.
- More work to do, but can’t lose sight of all the ways people are using FB for good.
Tim Cook on biz model
- Bezos “Companies that work hard to charge you more and companies that work hard to charge you less”.
- At FB, we try hard to charge you less. In fact, we’re free.
- [On data, we’re similar. When you install an app on your iPhone, you give it access to some information, just like when you login with FB.
- Lots of stories about apps misusing Apple data, never seen Apple notify people.
- Important you hold everyone to the same standard.]
- It’s very disturbing, and sadly we do see bad things on Facebook.
- Should have no place on our service. community standards prohibit hate, bullying, terror.
- Working to be more proactive, AI, hiring more people e.g terror, e.g suicide.
- Will never be perfect; but making huge investments.
Election Integrity (Russia)
- Too slow, making progress. France, Germany, Alabama.
- Midterms are important,but not just in the US – Brazil, Mexico, Hungary.
- Just announced committee of academics to commission independent research on social media on democracy.
- Silicon Valley has a problem, and Facebook is part of that problem.
- Personally care about making progress, long way to go. [3% African American, 5% Hispanics]
- Consumer choice: consumers have losts of choice over how they spend their time.
- Small part of ad market: advertisers have choices too – $650 billion market, we have 6%.
- Break up FB?: US tech companies key asset for Americal; break up strengthens Chinese companies.
GDPR [Don’t say we already do what GDPR requires]
- People deserve good privay tools and controls wherever they live.
- Support privacy legislation that is practical, puts people in control and allows for innovation.
- We build everything to be transparent and give people conteol. GDPR does a few things:
- Provides control over data use – what we’ve done for a few years.
- Requires consent – done a little bit, now doing more in Europe and around the wrold.
- Get special consent for sensitive things e.g facial recognition.