Some may say that email is no longer relevant for marketing your business. However, the continued usage of consumers shows that this medium remains a constant way of communicating at this digital day and age.
Your business will benefit from using email to reach out to your loyal customers as well as initiating contact with potential buyers. Take advantage of this technology to put your brand and promos right into their inboxes.
Here are some of the best email marketing strategies for your small business:
Invest in Email Marketing Software
Email marketing software makes sending out bulk messages to customers more manageable. MailChimp is one of the more popular programs in the market today. It enables business owners to create, send as well as track email and ad campaigns. Some of its notable features include giving you control over building mail lists, automation workflows, campaign analysis, custom rules, website integration, content management, and customer management.
If you’re looking for other options, you can find alternatives to Mailchimp that offer similar features as well as added functionality. Most of them provide tools to boost your sales through effective marketing. Useful functions include drag-and-drop email editing, autoresponders, and email segmentation, among others.
These are the standard features of email marketing programs:
- Email Editor – Even the least tech-savvy business owner can use the email marketing software developed today. It has a user-friendly builder that gives you a preview of what the message would look like to the recipient while you’re writing it. Features such as drag-and-drop, built-in templates, and responsive format ensure that you can create high-converting emails for your customers.
- Mailing List Management – This feature lets you segregate your customer database into categories. It’s ideal for targeted marketing, which produces better conversions than sending out generic emails to everyone in your mailing list.
- A/B Testing – With this tool, you can send different emails to a small group to gauge which one was opened by most recipients and got more responses. You can acquire feedback on the email’s subject line, design, and copy then use the information that you gathered to fine-tune your campaign.
- Merge Tags – Merge tags are crucial for personalizing your email by allowing you to replace variables in the message like the recipient’s name. This simple tweak can boost sales through evoking emotion in your buyers by addressing them as you would a friend. The tool can also be used for avoiding duplicates when sending coupon codes to a specific set of loyal customers.
- Autoresponders – This tool lets you automate the process of sending targeted content based on the recipient’s level of engagement or if they’re non-response. It’s ideal for following up on your leads, communicating with customers, or replying to their inquiries about your products and services.
- Analytics and Reports – Most business solution software provides data analysis to help with your company’s growth. Email marketing programs are no different. You can collect information on key metrics such as click-through rates, time spent by the reader on your email, trending content, and demographics.
- CAN-SPAM Tool – The US and EU have put up measures to prohibit companies from spamming their customers through email. This feature ensures that your message passes spam regulations and won’t be blocked by spam filters as well as other HTML structures.
- CRM Integration – The email marketing software you invest in must be compatible with the customer relationship management program you’re using. With this integration capability, you make sure that your sales and marketing strategies align. It’s also a way to set buyers’ expectations so you won’t lose customers.
Personalize Your Message but Don’t Get Too Personal
Instead of sending out a generic template to everyone in your mailing list, you should personalize your message to make the customer feel that you’re speaking to them directly. This effort will evoke a positive emotion in the recipient and enable you to gain their trust. It increases the likelihood that they’ll be more open to what you have to offer.
However, according to Temple University, addressing customers using their first name may actually harm your marketing efforts rather than compliment them. Instead, you should send them promos and deals on the products they’ve expressed interest in. This personalization would work more than merely changing the name variable on your email.
Email marketing software allows you to manage your mailing lists by segregating customers into different categories. It’s another level of personalization where you gain a deeper understanding of shoppers and how their demographics influence their buying habits. This allows for targeted promotion to ensure that you entice them to purchase products and services that are desirable to them.
You can segregate your mailing list by:
- Demographics – Lump together customers of the same age, gender, and job titles or socioeconomic status since these factors play a significant role in how much they spend as well as what products they buy.
- Location – This personalization benefits your business by allowing you to make exclusive promos and events based on holidays happening in one area.
- Open Rates and CTRs– Knowing who’s opening your newsletters from those who aren’t can help you create targeted marketing for these two different categories. You can promote new products to engage customers while continuing with re-engagement campaigns to inactive ones.
- Set Up a Drip Campaign
A drip campaign allows you to send marketing emails automatically and according to a schedule after a particular trigger. You can use this tool to convert prospects into leads and turn them into paying customers.
You can set up automatic emails to new subscribers or customers who downloaded your resources. Another trigger is passive customer behavior where you send a follow-up message to remind them of your products and services.
Email marketing continues to be a valuable tool for business owners. It allows you to engage with new customers and follow up on current buyers. Take advantage of software made specifically for this type of promotion, which will enable you to automate processes to improve your strategies and boost your sales.